Hager’s Flowers & Gifts was opened November 1, 1971 on Buffalo St in Gowanda by Barry Hager. On September 16, 1972 the Peter Pan Flower Shop at 25 W. Main St. became available and Barry purchased the business and moved to the down town Main St location where it is located today. The history of the Main St location extends back to 1936 when Goetz Flower Shop was opened. The building at 25 W. Main St housed a flower shop with four different owners from 1936 to 1976. The flower shop on Main St underwent many structural and cosmetic changes from 1936 to the present. Originally a two story building, Mr. Hager added a third floor to the building, in 1977 to allow more living space for his family. In 1979 Barry opened a Garden Center on the side of the Flower shop building adding the sale of spring annuals, memorial pots, hanging baskets as well as growing and selling both green and flowering plants. In 1991 his daughter joined him in the business as the shop manager. Carol graduated from Alfred State College as did Barry with a degree in Floriculture Merchandising. In 1995 Barry remodeled the front area of the garden center that is attached to the flower shop building to extend the store sales area from 1100 to 1600 square feet. Barry retired in 2009 and sold the business to Carol. Carol has instituted a number of changes over the years making sure that Hager’s Flowers & Gifts is in step with all the changes that come along- making sure that the quality of our product remains up to the highest standards.